1. Refinement of the Gap: Create a organized and interactive solution that helps students memorize new concepts and terms introduced in a class
2. Experience: I had a very difficult time gathering user needs. It was like pulling teeth—most people just complimented me on my prototype and said it was very creative, but they would have nothing further to say.
3. User Need list
1. Make the tool interactive
2. Include “fill in the blank”-style term definitions
3. Include incomplete drawings that the student has to complete !
4. Include space for the student to write implications
5. Include space for the student to write the significance of the concepts
6. Include space for the student to write any applications
7. Encourage the student to add a question about the terms
8. Make the tool have quiz-like features that the student can use to test themselves
9. Make the tool portable
10. Make the took be an app for a mobile phone
11. Make the tool transferable to a kindle
12. Make the tool be easy to carry in a pocket
13. Make the tool easy to carry in a backpack
14. Make the tool accessible on a website
15. Make the tool be part of a course wiki
16. Make the tool organized
17. Alphabetize the terms
18. Index the terms
19. Cluster similar terms
20. Use acronyms to organize terms
21. Make the tool appealing and fun
22. Use cartoons !
23. Use illustrations !
24. Use color images !
25. Use music when possible
26. Use rhymes and raps !
27. Use pop culture references
28. Use references to celebrities
29. Use story-telling !
30. Use jokes !
31. Use puns and wordplay
32. Use a recurring character or a “mascot” !
My gap: Create a tool that helps students memorize new concepts and terms introduced in a class
Why: improve people’s ability to live thoughtfully and soulfully
Why: increase the numbers of well-rounded, well-informed people in society
Why: increase the graduation rate of students
*Why: improve students’ learning in a course
Why: improve student performance on quizzes
How: Make concepts and terms easy to visualize
How: Make concepts and terms easy to review